2015 Lexus 9040A ES 300h Sedan
Classification: Midsize Cars
Fuel Economy: 40/39
Base Price: $40,430
I remember vividly the first hybrid I ever drove. I won’t name the manufacturer, but I remember thinking how much I missed the power of my regular vehicle and how much I truly disliked the golf-cart feeling from that test drive.
Today, hybrids are more technologically advanced, innovative and completely savvy. And although some still leave me with that herky jerky feeling, Lexus seems to have it down pat from the smooth engagement to the surge of power that pushes me onto busy roadways.
Here are five (very) good reasons to drive the Lexus 300 hybrid:
1. Fuel Economy – This pretty much speaks for itself with 40 mpg in the city and 39 on the highway. Oh, the money you will save! This sedan fits both the commuter who simply needs to be more frugal and the family who is looking for comfort and safety along with fuel savings.
2. Performance – Excellent fuel economy is awesome unless the vehicle lacks in performance. The Lexus 300 hybrid in fact has far better performance than I expected with its 2.5 liter dual cam in-line 4-cylinder engine with high output permanent magnet electric drive motor. Two hundred total system horsepower is what you’ll get and is exactly why I had the power to merge quickly onto busy highways.
3. Safety – Vehicle safety took on a whole new meaning for me after I became a mother. I think Lexus understands that and has fully equipped this sedan with dual front airbags, knee airbags, front and rear seat-mounted side impact airbags, front and rear side curtain airbags and seatbelt pretensioners. Additionally, vehicle stability control, four-wheel anti-lock brakes, smart stop technology, tire pressure monitoring and many more features help maintain safety integrity for this Lexus product.
4. Space – Young families need space. Back seat room for car seats is a must (along with convenient cup holders) as is trunk space for strollers, groceries and suitcases. To find this kind of roominess, along with great fuel economy in a safe vehicle is a winner!
5. Little extras – The comforts and conveniences that Lexus offers in this hybrid sedan make my life easier. Push button start is the one that always comes to mind quickly, but there are so many others like: 10-way adjustable seats, a simple one touch open/close moonroof, power everything (doors, windows, trunk, etc.), cruise control at my fingertips on the column, blind spot monitoring, navigation system, backup camera (awesome safety feature as well) and much more.
It seems like I’m constantly finding another feature to love on Lexus vehicles and honestly, I would love this vehicle with or without the excellent fuel economy because of the smooth ride Lexus is famous for. The fact that I need to fill up less often is purely a bonus!
Photos courtesy of Lexus.