In the interest of full disclosure, my cruise on the Carnival Fantasy was complimentary from Carnival Cruise Line except for gratuities and other specified items. Opinions are 100% uniquely my own!
The Carnival Fantasy is once again homeporting in the southern city of Mobile, Alabama. This time around, however, she sports new amenities as she is fresh out of dry dock with a fabulous makeover.
Carnival Cruise Line recently contracted to bring a ship back to the Port of Mobile after a sabbatical of several years. Fantasy will sail itineraries of four- and five-day routes to Mexico with ports of call in Cozumel, Progreso and Costa Maya.
“With its Southern charm, excellent terminal facilities and easy-to-reach location, Mobile is a terrific new addition to Carnival’s homeport lineup and we’re delighted to offer these convenient and affordable cruises to Mexico’s most popular ports of call,” said Christine Duffy, President of Carnival Cruise Line.
Recently, I took my family aboard the Carnival Fantasy for a five-night cruise to Cozumel and Progreso. My personal goal was to locate five new things to enjoy on this ship. I found them…with ease.
• Like other ships in Carnival’s fleet, Fantasy received a Guy’s Burger Joint while in dry dock. Guy Fieri is the name (and personality) behind the hugely popular burger joint and you might recognize him from the hit show Diners, Drive Ins and Dives on the Food Network. Fieri’s burgers are hand-crafted and made-to-order with a fun menu of options (the ringer is my favorite)! Guy’s Burger Joint gained instant success on other Carnival ships, so it was no surprise to see it do so well on Fantasy. Find it on the Lido Deck by the pool where all the surf boards and map top tables are.
• BlueIguana Cantina is just to the side of Guy’s and offers another complimentary dining venue with authentic handmade burritos, tacos and a salsa bar. We also enjoyed sliced fruit everyday from this bar as well.
• RedFrog Rum Bar and BlueIguana Tequila Bar are both located on the Lido Deck. RedFrog offers fantastic rums and beers while BlueIguana focuses on margaritas, Mexican beers and frosty libations.
• Serenity Deck is my favorite place to relax on any Carnival ship and I was excited to see that Fantasy now has one. A little smaller than the ones I have enjoyed on other ships, but given her size, it is perfect for the Fantasy.
• In conjunction with Seuss Enterprises, Carnival has a unique offering of children’s activities onboard that include the Seuss-a-Palooza Parade and Storytime, and Green Eggs and Ham Breakfast! Both are spectacular! The parade and storytime offer family-friendly, interactive adventures with a live reading of The Cat and the Hat. Green Eggs and Ham Breakfast is a GREAT value for families at only $5 each! It comes with a character meet-and-greet, lots of fun and yummy food choices, music and lively waitstaff. Tablescapes are so colorful and amply themed to resonate with Dr. Seuss lovers of all ages. More info on Seuss at Sea may be found here.
There you have it – my five picks for don’t miss amenities on the newly renovated Carnival Fantasy! And, there are so many more, like the WaterWorks aqua park area, the kiddie splash area and the spa! You’ll find your own favorites as well.
The Carnival Fantasy can carry slightly more than 2,000 passengers and the multi-million-dollar refurbishment added many of the line’s 2.0 product enhancements. For more information, please check out www.carnival.com or call your local travel agent.
As always, don’t forget to pack your sunscreen!