Recently, my husband and I checked out World of Beer (WOB) – Five Points to see why all of the locals here in Birmingham, Alabama rave about it. We knew it was a franchise and had heard the tag lines about 50 beers on tap, live music and so forth, but we never expected such a culinary treat!
A little history…
World of Beer got its start in 2007 in Tampa, Florida as a joint venture between two best friends. The pair had a distinct vision to create a gathering place where friends could catch up over a craft beer enjoying a ball game or live music. Today, that is exactly what you’ll find at WOB! A leader in the trendy Craft Taverns phenomenon, you’ll find not only beers cultivated from around the world, but some awesome, unexpected tavern fare as well!
If you aren’t sure which beer you’d like, there is always the flight option where you can choose a few and find a favorite. You’ll see old friends like the Abita Beer line (Purple Haze, AndyGator and Amber to name a few) along with flavored brews like Kopparberg Strawberry & Lime, Lindemans Peach, Lindemans Pomme (Green Apple) and New Planet Raspberry Ale. If you’re really brave, try out something a little more daring like Lucifer – a Belgium Golden Ale or Original Sin Cider (a New York brew)!
We were greeted at our table by Raymond Reyes the manager who is VERY knowledgeable not only about the drinks, but also regarding the menu selections. He was able to recommend some great Tavern Shares that we, well, shared! Below are the culinary delights we indulged in and they were all absolutely fabulous! We were shocked at the upscale choices and quality of the food!
- We started with the German Pretzel! This is a guest favorite…a giant Bavarian pretzel baked soft on the inside, crispy on the outside and perfectly salted. Served with a stone ground mustard and we additionally ordered the house-made Beer Cheese for dipping pleasure as well. That was a good move because it was scrumptious!
- Next we had Sriracha Lime Shrimp Tacos that might have been my favorite. Beer-battered shrimp tossed in house-made Sriracha lime aioli served in tortillas with roasted corn and tomato salsa, shredded lettuce and fresh cilantro. Oh the yumminess!
- Next up, Margherita Flatbread with freshly diced tomatoes and mozzarella over a basil and pine nut pesto, drizzled with a sweet balsamic glaze and topped with fresh arugula. My taste buds were in heaven!
- Chimay Sliders were another tasty treat with Chimay Classique cheese (of course), sautéed mushrooms, caramelized onions and homemade Chimay aioli.
- And just when we thought we couldn’t possibly entertain eating another bite, we saw these warm and golden brown beer-battered apple rings, dusted with powdered sugar and served with a salted caramel dipping sauce. What a way to top off this feast!
Do these sound like bar foods to you? Me neither! But of course, this is not a bar…it’s an upscale tavern…a culinary treasure for sure!
World of Beer was so much more than I anticipated! I was surprised at the choices and superb quality of the food offered on the menu. You just don’t expect food like that from a beer scene. And craft beer is definitely a running trend that allows folks to cultivate their brew loves and perhaps find something unique that their taste buds love. I loved it and will definitely be back again!
If you go…
World of Beer – Five Points
1005 20th Street South
Birmingham, AL 35205
Monday – Friday 3 – 7 p.m.
Sunday – Thursday 10 p.m. – close