2015 Chevrolet Colorado 4WD Z71 Crew Short Box
Class: Midsize Trucks
Fuel Economy: 17/24
Base Price: $34,115
My children are many and their ages are close. And, though they are older now, my habits haven’t changed a whole lot. When I travel (to the store or to the beach), I carry so much stuff…as all good mothers do. The “kind” of stuff has evolved throughout time, but nonetheless, I am a mother who hauls more than kids!
The Chevy Colorado was awarded the prestigious title of 2015 Motor Trend Truck of the Year and I clearly understand why! Stereotypically, folks lean toward the male audience when speaking of trucks, but moms like me know how useful and functional a sturdy truck is whether raising kids or towing a jet ski to the lake.
My first thought as I checked out the award-winning Chevy was, “What a mom truck!” Rugged good looks are the cornerstone to any mom mobile topped only by the safety rankings. Of course, the bigger the better in terms of stability and space…and thus far, we have a winner folks!
Let’s talk nitty gritty. Interior space was good…plenty of room for the kiddos with the crew cab seating, bookbags, purses, lunchboxes and the like. The touchscreen was a healthy eight inches or so and positioned perfectly in the visual range for the driver. The rear camera system added another plus in my book as did the amount of connectivity within the truck (Chevrolet MyLink audio system, OnStar with 4G LTE, built-in WIFI hotspot, turn-by-turn navigation, four USB ports and XM Radio)!
I made a fully loaded trip to my daughter’s house having first filled the truck bed up with boxes and bags, and I will have to say the tailgate was easy to operate and the step-up on the corner of the rear bumper was a lifesaver! This truck can efficiently haul anything and everything from combination baby seats (travel systems have strollers) and groceries to sporting equipment and furniture.
A FEW FACTS:
• Chevy Colorado offers the segment’s best horsepower – 200 hp for the standard 2.5L and 305 hp for the available 3.6L V-6.
• Segment-first available forward collision alert and lane departure warnings.
• Rear-vision camera is STANDARD.
• Maximum trailering rating of 7,000 pounds.
• Offered in work truck, LT and Z71 models (test model was Z71).
• Six air bags, including head curtain side air bags.
• StabiliTrak stability control system with rollover mitigation technology, trailer sway control, hill start assist and hill descent control (Z71).
• Engine – 3.6L V-6 DOHC VVT with direct injection
• Transmission – Hydra-Matic 6L50 6-speed automatic
• Driveline – 2WD or 4WD
• Horsepower – 305 @ 6800 rpm
• Torque – 269 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm
My favorite features on the Colorado are: the interior and truck bed space; the tech-savvy interior amenities; the handling and drive; and its ability to act as a family vehicle during the week yet haul fun toys on the weekend! Thanks Chevy, for knowing that moms haul more than kids!
Photos courtesy of General Motors.