Royal Caribbean Cruise Line was my host for this review on Harmony of the Seas. Opinions are 100% authentically my own.
This week I have experienced the bold and beautiful Harmony of the Seas – a product of Royal Caribbean Cruise Line and the largest ship on the water today. The family cruise line has always been dear to me as I took my very first cruise many moons ago aboard the Monarch of the Seas.
Harmony of the Seas Overview
Michael Bayley, Royal Caribbean International President and CEO described the new ship as “unbelievable” during a recent meeting with the media. I would say he’s right on the money. Appealing to couples, families and groups, Harmony of the Seas brings fresh new shows, lots of specialty dining options and thrill-seeking adventures!
Harmony of the Seas is quite the show-off weighing in at more than 226,000 tons with 18 decks and the capacity to carry over 6,000 passengers. Seven neighborhoods are represented including:
- Boardwalk – AquaTheater, Carousel, Rock Climbing Walls, Starbucks and Sabor Modern Mexican
- Youth Zone – Adventure Ocean, Royal Babies & Tots, The Living Room, Fuel Teen Disco and Video Arcade
- Entertainment Place – The Royal Theater, Studio B, Casino Royale, The Attic and Jazz on 4
- Royal Promenade – Bionic Bar, Rising Tide Bar, Boot & Bonnet Pub, Café Promenade and kate spade new york
- Central Park – Jamie’s Italian, 150 Central Park, Chops Grille, Cartier and BVLGARI
- Pool & Sports Zone – Ultimate Abyss, The Perfect Storm, FlowRider, Zip Line and Windjammer Marketplace
- Vitality Spa & Fitness – Vitality Spa, Vitality Fitness Center and Vitality Café
Extraordinary adventure and culinary delights are commonplace on Harmony of the Seas, but many folks may not realize that she is 20% more energy efficient than her two older sisters in the Oasis Class. In fact, nothing onboard goes to a landfill…it is either reused, recycled or incinerated as with 16 other ships in the fleet.
No stranger to think tanks consisting of what shocking amenities can be brought to the seas next, Royal Caribbean always pleases and covers the gamut of ages that will enjoy a voyage onboard one of 25 ships in the fleet. This ship’s “shocker” was Ultimate Abyss – the tallest slide at sea falling some 10 stories and pumping some major adrenaline through your body. Not for the faint of heart, Ultimate Abyss begins on deck 16 and plunges to deck 10.
Nine things I love about Harmony of the Seas
There are many reasons to cruise on the newest vessel in the Royal Caribbean fleet and I have compiled a list of nine (in no particular order) items that really set this ship apart from others… “don’t miss items” if you will. You’ll find your own, but I promise that some of these will make your list as well.
- Water, water, water – swimming pools, FlowRiders, water slides, whirlpools and kiddie waterpark features make up much of the onboard adventure.
- Food – from the classic main dining room and other complimentary dining options (Sorrento’s Pizza, Vitality Café, Boardwalk Dog House, Mini Bites, Windjammer Marketplace, Park Café and Café Promenade) to the wide variety of specialty dining choices (Solarium Bistro, Coastal Kitchen, Sabor Modern Mexican, Chops Grille, Izumi, Wonderland, 150 Central Park and Jamie’s Italian by Jamie Oliver), you’ll never tire of tasty temptations to feast on.
- AquaTheater Shows – The Fine Line features extreme high-flying feats while Hideaway Heist is a great dive show!
- Grease – always a crowd-pleaser, this 70s hit movie comes to life on the high seas for the first time ever in the Royal Theater. It’s a bit of a unique version and I not only loved it, but found it to be one of my favorite all time shows onboard any ship! (Another favorite was on Norwegian’s Getaway – click here to read more.)
- Ultimate Abyss – as previously mentioned, it is quite the thrill ride! And, if you are brave enough, it’s a ride you’ll not soon forget.
- Carousel – something about this marvelous, hand-crafted carousel whisked me away to childhood memories. It’s perfect for the entire family and stands so commanding in the Boardwalk neighborhood. Old and young alike will be spellbound.
- Bionic Bar – here modern technology enters the world of mixology and robots concoct your favorite beverages to your liking. Even if you don’t partake, this is a unique venue.
- Vitality Spa – spacious and soothing, the spa on Harmony of the Seas offers a full menu of services sure to please every guest seeking health and wellness.
- VOOM – Royal Caribbean wants each guest to have accessible WIFI with broadband strong enough to make you forget you’re at sea. This is much appreciated for folks like myself who work on the go!
Harmony of the Seas is currently homeporting in Fort Lauderdale’s Port Everglades. She is poised to take her share of the vacation market thanks to a modern, thoughtful ship full of amenities, creative onboard adventures, innovative technology and culinary creations. The brand has successfully coupled timeless traditions that seasoned cruisers expect with wow factors that keep everyone on their toes.
As always, I recommend a travel agent to help you book your Royal Caribbean adventure, but you can certainly see more about the ship (as I’ve only hit a few highlights) at http://www.royalcaribbean.com/harmonyoftheseas.