People ask me for advice on how to save money for travel all the time. It often surprises them to hear some of the quirky ways I encourage folks to enable themselves to travel. I have listed a few of my answers below. Also, I am going to begin a concentrated effort to help further with one of the suggestions by adding and expounding upon money saving ideas throughout the year. Keep reading…and also follow this Pinterest Board for money saving ideas!
- Have a yard sale! Yes, get rid of all that old stuff you’re never going to use again and set that money aside for making memories by traveling somewhere new and fun!
- Cut the coffee! I know, I can hear you cursing me from here. I love my barista-brewed coffee, but look what you could save in just a few months by brewing at home and/or drinking the office coffee. If that seems too drastic for you, try maybe cutting out half of it. If your habit is daily, you’ll still notice a good little savings.
- The above referenced chart is a GREAT way to save for a trip or vacation. It is very reasonable, practical and can be used to save for almost anything specific or save in general. Set up a specific savings account or a cookie jar will do! Week 1 deposit $1, week 2 deposit $2 (now you have $3)…but looking at the chart, look what you’ll have by week 52 (the end of the year)! Isn’t that awesome? Yes, I realize we are already about to head into week 3, but you can catch up quickly this early on. And, if you’re willing to also throw your coffee money in there…well, watch out! You’ll be saving like crazy!
- Check for Groupons when you travel. Enter the destination city and you’ll see the possibilities, not only for lodging, but also for dining and attractions! You can additionally browse their travel deals and maybe find something fun.
- One of my favorite ways to save for travel is by cutting expenses in another budget category. The easiest for me is groceries! You may be wondering how that can be easy, but with a little planning, eating at home a little more and making use of coupons, you can do it, too! (See my lifestyle blog for meals and planning to save money at home also.)
I’ll make a concentrated effort to show you ways to save money for travel throughout the year. Where would you like to travel to this year? Leave me a comment below!